Yerevan, capital of Armenia, during the soviet era. In this 1975 picture one can see a view of “Lenin Sqaure”, now called “Republic Square”. There are many government buildings and ministries in the square, which is considered the most important point of the city. The Lenin statue on the left was dismantled in 1990, shortly before Armenia regained independence. The former hotel “Armenia” building (the sign spells “Армения” in russian) was built in 1950; today is known as the “Armenia Marriott Hotel”. At that time population was 899 000.
(photo: © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow — personal collection)
This content is also avalaible in: Italian