“Victory Circus” (belarusian: Пло́шча Перамо́гі) in Minsk, capital of Belarus, in 1975. It is considered one of the most central places of the city. The obelisk was built in 1954 to commemorate Red Army soldiers and Belarusian partisans. The red letters on the two hemicycle-shaped buildings built in 1958 read «Heroic deed of the people is immortal». At that time the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic was part of the Soviet Union; Minsk population was 1 147 000 (source: Novosti).

(photo: © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow – personal collection)

This content is also avalaible in: Italian

Share this