View Post

Coney Island, “Luna Park” by night 1905

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Night view of the “Luna Park” in Coney Island (New York) in 1905, with its centerpiece, the “Electric Tower” in the foreground. The park opened in 1903 and closed in 1944, after it has been destroyed by fire. The term Luna Park, used to designate several amusement park around the world, is based on this first one. 1905 Detroit Publishing Co./Commons

View Post

Ashgabat Hotel, early 70s

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Ashgabat, capital of Turkmenistan, in a early 70s picture. A GAZ-21 Volga (1962 model) passes next to  the “Ashgabat” Hotel, built in 1969 in a modernist/brutalist style by drawings of Soviet architets A. Akhmedov, F. Aliyev, V. Vysotin, V. Kutomov. (photo: © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow – personal collection)

View Post

Surveying in Karakum

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

A young Turkmen surveyor holding a level staff in 1975, during construction of the Karakum Canal, across the Karakum Desert. The level staff (aka ‘leveling rod’) is a graduated rod, used with a surveying or levelling instrument to determine distances and differences in height. Built between 1954 and 1988 under the Soviet administration, the Karakum Canal is one of the largest irrigation and water supply …

View Post

1977 stamp from Romania, 23rd International Conference of The Red Cross in Bucharest

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

A 1,50 Leu postage stamp from Romania, celebrating the 23rd International Conference of The Red Cross held in Bucharest in 1977. The image shows the three protecting emblems used at that time: the Red Cross, that was adopted in the 1st Geneva Convention of 1864; the Red Crescent and the Red Lion and Sun, both officially recognized in the Geneva Convention of 1919. This latter was used by Persian Empire until Iranian revolution of 1979 and, although never …

View Post

1969 stamp from the East Germany, 50th anniversary “League of Red Cross Societies”

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

A 10 Pfennig (i.e. 1/100 Mark) postage stamp of the German Democratic Republic (aka West Germany or DDR) issued in 1969 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of “League of Red Cross Societies” (now  IFRC), founded in 1919 in Paris. The image shows the three protecting emblems used at that time: the Red Cross, that was adopted in the 1st Geneva Convention of 1864; the Red Crescent and the Red Lion and Sun, both officially recognized in the Geneva Convention of …

View Post

Particle accelerator in Yerevan, Armenia

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

The particle accelerator of the Yerevan Physics Institute in a 1975 picture. Built in 1963 by Soviet administration, it was the first particle accelerator in Armenia. (photo: © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow – personal collection)

View Post

Sevan Island, Armenia 1970s

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Lake Sevan is the largest body of water in Armenia and the Caucasus region. In this 1975 picture one can see the promontory where is the medieval monastery of Sevanavank: it is called “Sevan Island” because in origin this was actually an island. It became a promontory when the Soviet administration decided to artificially lower the water level by 45 meters to reduce evaporation, …

View Post

Carpet production in Tagikistan, 1970s

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Industrial carpet production in the Karakum region, in the Soviet Tajikistan of early 70s. (photo: © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow – personal collection)