View Post

Kazakistan, fountain in Alma-Atà (Almaty), 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Alma-Atà (now called Almaty, Алматы), former capital of the Kazakhstan, in 1975. Back then the country was part of the Soviet Union and the population of the city was 837 000 (source: Novosti). Fountains are a distinctive trait of the city: more than hundred have been built since 1948 in order to watering green spaces and creating a more tolerable climate during the hot and dry season. There is also a …

View Post

Victory Circus, Minsk (Belarus) in 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

“Victory Circus” (belarusian: Пло́шча Перамо́гі) in Minsk, capital of Belarus, in 1975. It is considered one of the most central places of the city. The obelisk was built in 1954 to commemorate Red Army soldiers and Belarusian partisans. The red letters on the two hemicycle-shaped buildings built in 1958 read «Heroic deed of the people is immortal». At that time the Byelorussian …

View Post

Kiev, Chreščatyk in 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Ukraine, 1975. The Khreshchatyk (Ukrainian: Хрещатик) is the main avenue of Kiev. At that time the population of the city was 1 947 000 (source: Novosti). In this photo, taken near Bessarabs’ka Square looking North,  one can see any soviet era vehicles (e.g. a RAF/ErAZ 977 minibus and some Moskvich 403/407 bottom right). Nowaday Chreščatyk is a traditional place for concerts, festivals, and also street music (Street View). (photo: © …

View Post

Moscow, Kalinin Prospekt in 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Moscow in 1975: Kalinin Prospekt was the main avenue that runs through the Arbat District. The term Prospekt indicates is a broad, multi-lane and very long straightstreet in urban areas; it is often translated as “avenue”. Back that, Moscow population was 7 635 000 (source: Novosti). Some Moskwitch series 400 (403 – 407) are parked beside the road. Since 1990 this avenue has been known as “New Arbat”. (photo: © …