View Post

Soviet resort in Pitsunda, Black Sea

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Pitsunda or Bichvinta (Georgian) is a resort town in Abkhazia, on the Black Sea. In the Soviet Era it was a popular holiday destination for Russians: this 1970s picture shows a soviet resort whose buildings stand directly on the beach. Today it is known as “Golden Fleece” Hotel. At that time Pitsunda was a Georgian town, today it belongs to Republic of Abkhazia. (photo: URSS …

View Post

Krasnoyarsk Dam in 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

The Krasnojarsk dam (Russia) on the Yenisey river in a 1975 photo. Built between 1956 and 1972, it is 124-metre (407 ft) high, 1 065 m (3 494 ft) long and its reservoir (known as “Krasnoyarsk Sea”) has an area of 2 000 square kilometres (770 sq mi). It supplies 6 000 MW of power. (photo: URSS 75 yearbook © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow – personal collection) [hana-code-insert name=’g-ads-portfolio’ /]

View Post

Leonid Brezhnev and Fidel Castro in Cuba, 1974

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Cuba, 1974: Leonid Brezhnev (1906 – 1982), general secretary of the Communist Party and Chariman of the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union, and Fidel Castro, prime minister of Cuba. In this picture, Brezhnev has just arived at Havana airport for his official visit to Cuba of 28th January – 3rd February. (photo: URSS 75 yearbook © 1975 Novosti news agency, Moscow – personal collection)

View Post

Rattenfängerhaus, Hameln

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

A 1890 photocrom postcard showing the “Rattenfängerhaus” (Rat–Catcher’s House) in Hameln, a German town of the Lower-Saxony well known for the legend about a rat–catcher hired by the city council to lure rats away with his magic pipe. The Reinassance stone facade dates from 1602, but the building is actually much older. The picture shows the adjacent “Street without Music” (Bungelosenstraße) with a view of buildings that no …

View Post

Three Graces fountain in Baku, Azerbaijan

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Baku is the capital of Azerbaijian and the country’s main harbour. This 1975 picture shows the “Three Graces” fountain, named after the sculpture of the goddesses of greek–roman mythology, in the Khagani garden (also known locally as “Molokan”). At that time the population of the city was 1 383 000 and Azerbaijan was part of the Soviet Union. Baku is full of sculptures, representing crafts, street performers, movie character ecc… You could find them in every …

View Post

Yerevan, Republic Square in 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Yerevan, capital of Armenia, during the soviet era. In this 1975 picture one can see a view of “Lenin Sqaure”, now called “Republic Square”. There are many government buildings and ministries in the square, which is considered the most important point of the city. The Lenin statue on the left was dismantled in 1990, shortly before Armenia regained independence. The former hotel …

View Post

Biškek, “Kirghizistan Hotel” in 1975

In by Silvio DellʼAcqua

Biškek: girls in traditional clothings in 1975, when Kirghizistan whas part of the Soviet Union. The building you see on the background is the former hotel “Kirghizistan” (“Кыргызстан” мейманканасы, as the sign says), built in 1971 by architect E. G. Pisarskii. At that time the city was known as “Frunze” and its population was 486 000. After refurbishment, the building became the current “Hyatt Regency Bishkek …